January 18, 2010

Layers

Hum. I discovered something about myself last night.

Here is what I determined about me. You know Shrek? And the whole thing about onions and layers?
This is me. Little happy onion me. Possibly a clove of garlic. I'm not so good at quick sketches. :)
These are my layers, peeling away from onion/garlic me. The layers only peel if you get to know me. To most, I'm just the onion.
This is the first layer of the onion/garlic. I appear to be pretty rough. Maybe a bit angry. I don't necessarily look approachable. Most people tell me that their first impression of me is just that I'm never happy.
But then they get to know me better, and find out that I'm really a pretty sweet and caring person. I love love, and I love the people I surround myself with. And I love to take care of everyone important to me. I think most people who seem kinda rough at first are sweet once you get to know them.

But then you become more acquainted with me, and find out that despite being a sweet and loving person, I'm still kinda harsh. My heart can be cold, and I can be a cynical person. The loving caring self is often just me trying to fight my inner bitterness.
But it all boils down to my inner most layer. The stem of every layer I've built for myself is my inner insecurities. All the bitterness, all the bleeding heart kindness I try to show, and the walls I put up to keep people away all come down to how insecure I really am.

Now that I know this, I know what to work on most towards my goal of being a happier person.

:) I'm pretty happy with everything to be honest. How long it will last is irrelevant. I'm just gonna enjoy it all while I got it.

XoXo
S

1 comment:

Michelle said...

:D I love this idea.
I want to do an onion version of me!
And, you're right about yourself. I thought about your progression of layers in our friendship, and I realized exactly when I noticed your layers being peeled off. Layer 1 was beginning Freshman year when i didn't know you yet, layer 2 was the rest of the year when we had fun, layer 3 was sophomore year when we were fighting, and layer 4 was junior and senior year when we were on good terms again and you were brave enough to show me your insecurities. Your layers played a big part in the story of our friendship and my high school experience in general. :)

And, your quick sketches are adorable! Don't say you're not good just because you can't tell the difference between an onion and a clove of garlic. Cute little cartoons are cute because they're unrealistic. :D