August 16, 2009

My Favorite Characters.

I have this theory about the books I read.

It does a bit like this:

They have 3 'main' characters. One is the person telling a story (usually a human girl, since I only really read vampire/werewolf novels) and the second is her 'love interest' that is a vampire and you know she'll end up with him, whether it's in the first book of a series or not. Then, you have the third. He's always a sweet charming boy who love vampires or is in the vampire crowd in some way. He's always got the most charisma of any of the other characters hands down. Maybe this is because the writer doesn't feel the need to give them and many flaws because he's a mere secondary character and no one will cry about him being 'too perfect' since they're generally only concerned with the two mains and whatever the conflict of the novel is.

This is always my favorite character. In Voice of the Blood it was Lovely. In the Turning is was Ziggy. Now, as I read Guilty Pleasure, by Laurell K. Hamilton, it's the super sexy Phillipe.

You know what all these characters have in common BESIDES being my favorite? They (spoilers ahead, yo) DIE IN THE FUCKING END OF THE FIRST BOOK.

I'm sitting here. My baby is being put into mortal danger. My arm twitches in anger. From the first page that it became apparent that he was important I thought "The bitch writer had better not kill him" then I continue, with some hope. A slim glimmer of false hope, for sure. I know this. I read on.

Danger becomes worse as Main Character leaves, leaving my sweet little favorite behind, with hopes to be able to return before it's too late. My arm twitches again. I have a baaaad feeling. But the writer wouldn't let him die right? That would be FAR TO HEARTLESS. RIGHT?!

Then FUCKING BAM, there he is, throat ripped out.

I want to fucking kill someone. I want to seek out the author and bitch slap her.

I barely have to will to pick the book back up, but being a vampire novel I retain the false hope that somehow between his death and the main character passing out someone (maybe the 'love interest' that Main Character will likely be with in other novels, if my Charisma Boy really is dead) comes in and turns him somehow.

Is that going to happen? No, I know it won't. But I have to at least try to read on. Just for the sake of my false hope. I have a feeling I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight.

I swear I'm going to stop reading altogether. Just to save myself the heartbreak of the lost Charisma Boy. ;_; I can't take much more of this.

XoXo

No comments: