September 30, 2009

RIP Cloves in the USA

So, I JUST found out about the ban on flavored tobacco and clove cigarettes. I hate letting things get to me, but I am (after realizing how shitty digital tv has made everything) beginning to disbelieve in the governments intentions again. How did I lose my way and re-become a government loving douche-bag anyway? Glad I'm getting over it.

1) Clove cigarettes... They're the "goth" smoke. I actually had every intention to buy a pack, just to have, because they're THE GOTH CIGARETTE. They would benefit me in photo shoots, and make me feel 'cool' for owning them, despite not being a smoker, and probably never smoking more than 2 or 3 of them. They were something that I wanted to experience, because they don't sell them around here and they aren't cheap. If I wanted a regular cigarette I'd just get them from my mom.

2) I have only ever heard of flavored cigarettes once, in health class at school. They don't really talk about them in TV shows or on the news and I've never seen a cigarette ad for anything besides plain camel cigs. They aren't marketed for kids, because more kids only know about the cigarettes in their mommies purse.

3) I know a LOT of underage smokers (okay, they're all legal now, but they weren't when I met them) and NOT ONE OF THEM smoked cloves or flavored cigarettes. They smoke what their parents or friends smoke. Whichever they could most easily get ahold of is what they smoked. How can they be the gateway if the only people who smoke them are seasoned smokers?

4) How is it legal for you to take something that is no more harmful than the regular cigarettes away from people who are the legal age to smoke? Just because it may taste better to them doesn't mean they'd quit if it weren't available. My mom started smoking a less tastey version of her Marboral Menthols because she couldn't afford them. She didn't quit. She switched. Everyone else will too.

5) Of all the reason to ban any type of cigarette, they chose the ones that I would call bullshit on. Oh, its not because they'll eventually give you cancer and kill you while letting your secondhand fumes kill everyone around you. No, it's because of the chiiildren. Nevermind that only adults smoke the yummy ones, NOOOO it's for the KIDS SAKE. Even though they'll be able to smoke chain smoke their cheap nasty cigarettes legally anyway (and will do so

tl;dr
I want some cloves you insensitive bastards. AT LEAST CIGARETTES DON'T CAUSE CAR ACCIDENTS LIKE ALCOHOL AND POT (okay they kill you anyway, but they don't hinder your ablity to think straight after you've smoked one)

No comments: