December 07, 2009

My Job and Me

Sometimes, all you have is yourself. Even when you have someone else in your life. When it comes right down to it, no matter what you share with someone else, when it comes right down to it, you still need yourself and you still need to be true to whoever that is.

If you keep that, then you can make it through whatever it is that happens to you. True-ness to myself is more important to anything else in my life. The ability to be me will make me happy. Being happy is one of my only goals in life.

No, I'm not having "trouble in paradise" it's just something I've been thinking about.

I've gotten a dozen complaints from customers about my hair in the workplace. Complaints that refer to nothing than the fact that they don't like my hair or don't think it belongs in the workplace. All the comments I get are regarding nothing but my appearance (and not that I look "dirty" just "inappropriate" ) but those customers never comment negatively about my work. Not once.

I know what I signed up for with the hair. It does still get frustrating sometimes. I do as good (and in some cases BETTER) of a job than those I work with whose appearance you claim "work place friendly." Take our back register operator for instance. She gets at least 4 or 5 comments a week about how rude she is, or how she keeps fucking up everyone's order. She has long naturally colored hair, looks pretty, and has no piercings. I, in my 3 1/2 years of work, have yet to get ONE negative comment about my work.

I don't even mind people being turned off by me at first. It happens. First impressions are based on appearance. However, once I prove my worth as a worker you'd think people would change their minds or at least become a little more tolerant.

Bottom line, if I were ever stuck with the decision to choose bettween my job and who I am, I'd quite without a second guess. Sorry Brad. No job is worth giving up myself.

XoXo
S

No comments: