May 01, 2012

Self Medication

I've been thinking of things I do. Or don't do, I guess. Things that cause inconvenience in my life because I try to hold off.

Like migraines. I never want to take my medicine when I get the first hit. I know what's coming. I can feel it all through my body but I don't want to take my pills. Why? In general I'm reluctant to take them. Cramps and migraines are the only pains that break me down enough to do so unless a doctor makes me (and how often do I go see a doctor?) Mostly I just don't like to self medicate. If it were birth control, or some form of medicine that I take regularly to keep my body on track I'd have no problem with popping the pills. But when it's as needed, I have trouble with telling myself I NEED them when I actually do.

I also say "maybe if I wait a little longer the pain will go away on it's own." Every time. Despite the fact that it NEVER does. It ALWAYS get progressively worse. Sure, it worsens at different rates, but it gets worse none the less. Now, I suppose if I were taking them to relieve some sort of bodily pain it wouldn't matter when I took it, but with cramps and migraines once the pain has reach the point of distracting you (even if it's not so debilitating yet) it's probably too late for the medicine to work. I've never had medicine for cramps work if I took them AFTER they get bad. When I talk myself into taking them when I know I'm going to have my period I'm usually okay. Never cramp-free, but not vomiting.

So why don't I just do that? Do I honestly think that I'm going to avoid cramps when I'm on my period? Even on my BETTER ones I still had them. And if it'd going to rain heavily I'm going to have a migraine. If I wake up and feel any sort of sinus swelling I'm going to have a migraine. Why can't I just take the damn pills?

And, from now on, I'm going to remember all of this and hopefully do the right thing. I'm tired of these aches and pains. There are people suffering from much worse problems who would LOVE to have a cheap otc medicine to make their pains go away, so I should take advantage of it.

XoXo,
S

No comments: