January 31, 2012

Reese's Peanut butter Cups and a lesson in Proper Nouns....

On a similar note as one of my previous blogs... Why do people call Reese's "Reesey's?" They were named after the dude who invented them (or the idea, or whatever, I don't actually know the extensive history of the stuff)

Reese as a name... Is pronounced Reese. REES. But somehow by adding an apostrophe and and an "s" to show possession people have concluded that it's pronounced REESEES. To further boggle my mind, the small bite size candies are called Reese's Pieces which to me clearly implies that the words rhyme. I have an easier time believing they're called REES's Pieces than that they're called REESEES PEESEES.

Maybe if the apostrophe weren't there. Maybe if it was Reeses and not Reese's I'd buy the pronunciation. But it IS there. And I, even as a child, understood that an apostrophe doesn't change how a word is pronounced.

I know this is a bit in the opposite of what I was JUST talking about, but I'm not referring to spelling. I'm talking about the pronunciation of a proper noun. Sure, if you're from Louisville you'll pronounce it with your accent, but what accent produces Reese as Reesee? A white trash accent?

And, like a lot of other things that bother me about most people, I'll just have to get the hell over it because it's become such a widely accepted pronunciation that it's not exactly going to change.

XoXo,
S

1 comment:

M said...

I know it's not a matter of accent, but what probably happened is one person started saying it wrong and a bunch of people started thinking that was the right pronunciation.

Another example is the crazy Indiana way that some people say the words "wash" and "king." They put an extra "r" in there or like to pretend that "i" really sounds like "ee." Someone started saying it that way, and when you're around someone that says words differently you start to pick that up. And you wont even notice it until it becomes second nature.

It's one thing to be annoyed about other people's pronunciation, but it's a whole 'nother thing entirely when you realize that you're the one that's pronouncing something wrong within a specific culture. Sort of like when I went to Boston and started throwing words like "pop" around when I really meant "soda." Everyone I grew up around said "pop." And it didn't seem weird to me until someone laughed at it. Now I just don't talk about carbonated beverages. Problem solved.