January 27, 2011

Satellites

Michael got me a new laptop. I'm paying him back (with money, not kisses and love) but he bought it for me because it was a good price and a decent laptop and mine keeps deleting everything I put on it and I won't have money for it until I get my tax stuff taken care of.

It's a cute little Toshiba Satellite L645. And it came with Google Chrome already on it :) And, of course, the first thing we put on it was World of Warcraft, which looks so much prettier than it did on my old laptop, and runs so smooth. My Dell struggled to play the graphics when it was on the "fair" setting, and now it runs perfectly on "good" and if I were willing to deal with the lag I used to face I could play it on "Ultimate" but I'm okay with good.

Michael wants to buy a Macbook for his new laptop. Mine was $600 with 4g ram and 500g hard drive. A Mac laptop that costs twice that has half of both. He wants to play WoW on THAT? I'm sure its possible, especially with the $2000 model, but when the only reason you want a Mac is because its a Mac and it won't actually perform the way you need it to, do you really want to spend that kind of money? I could have gotten a laptop with a bluray player for $100 more, and one with bluetooth and a backlit keyboard if I added $200 to that... but I don't use any of those things (besides blue tooth, but at the moment I'm fine without) so I got the less expensive one. The laptop that actually had all of those didn't have the graphics card I needed to make my gaming experience.

It's his money though. I just think that's going to cause more stress on us, and I don't want him to have to deal with more. :(

XoXo,
S

1 comment:

Michelle said...

While I love my mac, I wouldn't pay so much for one just to look pretentious while typing on it. (But, with some convincing, apparently my parents would.) Seriously, the performance power of a mac is average at best. WoW is still playable on a mac, but it's much smoother on a desktop pc with a good graphics card. Or even a laptop with a really good graphics card and an adequate processor.

I've had my mac for three years, and the plastic has cracked off in some areas, the cd drive is finicky, and my fans sound like a jet engine. There are pcs out there that are better and cheaper. And, I don't know if Michael's a hipster, but if he wants to be ironic he can go buy an apple bumper sticker and put it on his pc laptop. (Actually, I think I'll do that when I eventually upgrade to a pc.)

But Patrick's the same way with buying shit. If he wants it, he's stubborn about it, even if he wont use it. And I can't convince him otherwise because it's not my money. /: (But oh, if it was...)