June 07, 2009

How to Bleach Your Mohawk

Firstly,
the dye process in pictures:
picture 1: my hair color pre-dying
picture 2: What I'm working for
picture 3: 10 minutes in
picture 4: 20 minutes in
picture 5: 30 minutes in (just before rinsing)
picture 6: rinsed
picture 7: bangs slightly orange as suspected
picture 7: how hair looks down; wet

I suppose I could set this up in a better fashion that makes more sense, but it's 12:30 A.M. and I want to do this tonight.

YOU WILL NEED:
1 box of bleach (I'm using born blond original)
1 old T-shirt (I've been using the same black shirt for 3 years of bleaching now)
1 old towel
Conditioner

if you aren't a conditioner user, as a hair bleacher you need to become one. Just go out and get some nice moisturizing conditioner. You WILL need this for the dying process. If you're in the country and want your hair to stay light (it'll turn yellow with hard water) they make some conditioner for that.

STEP ONE:
Put on that old t-shirt. You can put it over your clothes if it's big enough, but make sure your other shirts aren't sticking out anywhere as they're likely to get ruined.

STEP TWO:
Section your Mohawk to prep it for dying. I'm dying the sides of my mohawk, so I pulled it back with two different hair ties (one towards the top, one at the back) to keep it completely pulled away from the area I'm about to dye. If your hair is shorter, you can just put a 4 or 5 ties in to keep it standing up and away.

STEP THREE:
Prep your hair for dying. If you have a black mohawk like I do, you don't want to accidentally get bleach on it because it will cause it to turn orange. To prevent this you'll take a little conditioner and carefully rub it along your part line on the hair that you want to keep from getting bleached. The conditioner will fill your hair follicles and prevent the bleach from harming it. If you're really worried about it you can use Vaseline but I'm not a big fan because it's a pain to wash out.

STEP FOUR:
Put on the gloves that come with your dye and mix in the powder and lightening solution as directed by the box. Begin to apply the dye to your hair. If you're bangs are virginal to hair dye or bleach you'll want to start with them and work from the ends up. However, if you're like me and you're bangs don't have much new growth you'll want to start on the sides and then do the bangs (working from the ends up, as stated before.)

Make sure all sections of your hair are fully saturated with the dye.

STEP FIVE:
Monitor the progress of the bleach to make sure your hair is lightening evenly. As I watched my hair I noticed several sections that weren't lightening and had I not caught it then I would have had to reapply the bleach again after rinsing. It'd be a pain and time consuming.

STEP SIX:
Rinse. Condition. Rinse and ENJOY! If you plan on dying a wild color over it be sure to NOT condition your hair though, as it'll hinder your hairs ability to accept the dye and keep it for a long period of time. Allow to air dry and use moisturizing products before using a flat iron for at LEAST a week or two. Bleaching your hair will cause it to be very dry and it's important to help repair any damage before it's too late.

No comments: