January 31, 2013

healing

So Rob and I have had bed bugs for a while now. Probably 6 months. Having him spend less time at his place (where they're really bad) and more time here has stopped them from getting too badly. The bites don't effect him. They drive me crazy. We're fairly well contained them in the room, I think.

But anyway. After starting to wear my socks to bed (which is horrible, I feel bad for people who wear socks at home) and tucking my pj pants into them, and then my night shirt into that, I've managed to not get bitten on my feet and legs, which is the worst to have itchy. For whatever reason they chose to only really bite my right arm. Maybe it's the position I sleep in. I don't know. But it's got a lot of scars from this.

My boyfriend and I took of the sheets last night. I admit we don't do this often enough. We're only really home at night, and that's no time to be doing laundry that you need on your bed.

But I FINALLY steamed the comforter, the pillows, the pillow covers, then the top of the mattress, all along the side, flipped it and steamed the bottom. We got every crevice we could physically reach. Even the top and around the ends of the boxspring. I haven't had a new bite in 2 nights. I know we didn't fix the problem, but we've squashed it a lot. I haven't felt itchy. Haven't woken up in the middle of the night to itch. I have 37 scabs that are slowly healing. My skin is looking healthier. If we do this every week or so, and finally get all of the clothes heat cleaned (perhaps steamed) I may never get bit again. I'll be able to leave this mattress in the burn pile when I leave, and it'll be okay to buy new bedding and not worry about bugs in floor board cracks.

Seriously, I know most people will think less of someone for having bed bugs. They're hard to exterminate. And pricey. I'm poor as fuck. And we do what we can. Hopefully we'll have a chance to maybe move the mattress, steam the underside of the boxspring and sealing all of them up while we clean every plush thing we own.

XoXo,
S

No comments: