October 04, 2011

Politics and Children

Just a random childhood thought.

When I was in elemiddleschool (10 years at the same school tends to make the years bleed together. Late elementary, early middle) I was told by my teacher that whoever was president at the time supported killing babies. I think it was Clinton, actually. Since I'm only 21, and Bush was the president through high school and middle school... Actually that means it WAS elementary school. Probably in computer class since I think it was my 8th grade teacher saying it. Is Clinton a Republican? or was that Bush? Fuck, I don't even care.

ANYWAY. My parents were talking about the president and I brought this up, asking why we'd have a president who supported killing babies. My dad got really upset with the school over it, since it was a pricey private school and they weren't paying them all that money to harm my young impressionable mind with their own personal political beliefs (sadly, as a parochial school they WERE allowed to shove religion on me.) I didn't understand why my dad was so upset since obviously killing babies is bad.

Unfortunately my young impressionable mind didn't understand that by "killing babies" my teacher meant "supports abortion." I would have agreed at the time since I was a good little god-fearer, but looking back on the whole thing I realize how it must feel to be a parent and have your kid spouting off bullshit about something that was clearly not explained to them properly and not taught in a manner that allowed them to form their own opinion. I get it now. And I'm kinda pissed that my teacher said it too.

Just thought I'd share the thought, since I haven't had many post that don't revolve around me having a pity party for myself (free drinks, everyone is invited.)

XoXo,
S

No comments: