October 26, 2011

Just a few thoughts I've had

lol at the fact that so many people talk about "white people" as if someone's skin color says anything about them (besides what color their skin is, obviously.)

I don't throw all black or brown people into little "skin color" boxes, and recognize them for whatever nationality, culture or ethnicity they choose to identify as. Skin color is a description, not a title, nationality or race.

Remember that next time you talk about what "white people" did. You should probably specifically refer to what nationality they were, considering there are people with white skin within minorities and not all white European people took part in every racial fuck-up.

It doesn't really offend me, but it is definitely getting on my nerves. I was born with white skin in a world where white privilege exists. It wasn't my choice and I wish we could try to find some sort of balance for everyone, but I'll be damned if you tell me about who I am (or what I've done) because of what color I am.

XoXo,
S

(ps, being "colorblind" isn't wrong. Being "culture blind" is. I can see all people of all colors without making associates based on the tone of their skin without disregarding they way others may perceive them and without denying that they're currently in unequal footing. What's wrong is being completely blind to where someone is from. THAT is a part of who they are.)

No comments: