October 14, 2011

anti-choice

I think my main problem with pro-life people is how black and white they view all situations.

For one, I'm pretty sure the government doesn't fund abortion anyway. They may give money to planned parenthood, but planned parenthood does a hell of a lot more than giving abortions. STD testing should be inexpensive and easily available for anyone who wants or needs it. Even with government help it's still not free, either. Just affordable. They also provide birth control. I don't know anyone who started birth control strictly for it's ability to prevent pregnancy. Most of the people I knew started it because they needed some sort of regulation with the period. The prevention of pregnancy was just a plus. Whenever I'm curled in bed with cramps and feeling too sick to move I wish I had the $7 it takes to get on the pill because I shouldn't have to lose out on 3 days of ever month because my body doesn't function the way it should. (my period is longer than that, those are just my cramp days.)

But it also gets to me when they're going "derp, I don't care if they were raped or if it was an incest baby! I especially don't care if the mother will die from carrying it! no abortions!!1" Apparently because it's HER problem and the child that can't feel and it's capable of living yet isn't the problem (even though obviously if the thing is attached to the fallopian tube it kinda is the problem. Why should a woman die because her body isn't functioning in the way 'god' intended?) and that the government shouldn't throw a penny her way because of it.

But really, the fact that all these little bullshit things were brought up in conversation over a bill that was written to end government funded abortions makes me wonder where these people's heads are. What do any of the above opinions have to do with government funded abortions? It's just someone spewing out negativity and hate for the sake of showing how conservative they are.

Also related, if god has a plan for everyone and intended for that woman to be raped and to get pregnant (what a terrible dark situation, how can anyone make light of it and shrug off the suffering of someone but be so adamant about the value of an unborn life) maybe his only intentions for the unborn thing* was to be aborted. Maybe she's NOT playing god by aborting it. In it's own respect, declaring that it was meant to be born is playing god as well. You have to be careful about throwing around accusations that are a matter of personal opinion. Chances are they can be turned around and used against you.

Then, finally point, I'm sick of them throwing it in pro-choice people's face that their mother didn't have an abortion when she was pregnant with them, and that they "had the right to grow up to be an idiot" and how "ungrateful" they are that their mother did that. Um, no. Just no. I'm HAPPY my mother chose to keep me. The key word in that is CHOSE. I'm happy knowing that even though my mother could have aborted me, she CHOSE to keep me because she WANTED to. I wasn't brought into this world and raised by my biological parents because they had no other options, I'm here because I was wanted. If abortion was illegal, I'd definitely feel differently about my family and the environment I grew up in.

Everyone just needs to stop bringing so much hate into the world. I think one of the reasons I fall into the liberal category is simply because they don't care what personal restrictions you put on yourself. We don't care if you personally don't want an abortion or if you do pray in school. We really just want the freedom to decide if it's right for us or not. I think the understanding of freedom is that to a certain extent you should actually be allowed to choose what you do. If you can't it's really not being free.

XoXo,
S

*it's technically both an unborn baby and a cluster of cells/fetus/whatever. It all just depends on your personal perspective and I have the perspective of not giving a fuck what you think it is.

No comments: