September 19, 2012

I've been weary of blaming the media, but someone needs to be held accountable.

This isn't an issue I honestly think about too often. In fact, I sometimes have felt like it was blown a little out of proportion in the past. But I kinda get it now.

Make-up companies. You're a separate branch of the big evil "media" and you made quite the image for yourself in my eyes this morning. That image is "whiter is better."

When you criticize black musicians for being too pale, you criticize them for something they can't control. Nor is it the fault of fashion models who are black but a much much lighter tone.

But YOU, make-up company... YOU choose who you put out there to represent yourself. You chose pale. You chose white. You chose pale to represent black women. Your foundation that is guaranteed to match all women? You chose the palest of all ethnic backgrounds. There was ONE little pot of foundation that looked like it would work okay on a darker skinned woman, but I have trouble believing that foundation would compliment all darker shades. Your pictures depicted women who could have literally passed as white women with tans (the ONLY defining feature that the black model had that showed her ethnicity was her clearly African American hair).

As someone who tends to fall on the Classic Ivory side of foundations, I tend to not think to much about being too dark to find a good match. Even when I'm tan I go a shade or so lighter just because it keeps my skin tone more natural and even looking. But I fail to see how someone with very dark skin could use a foundation like their 'mocha" and not look like they were attempting to bleach their faces.

There actually aren't a lot of people who are pale. Most people I know actually wear foundation a few shades darker than their natural color just because they feel it compliments them better.

What about the dark skinned women who would feel that it would compliment their skin more to wear a foundation as dark, if not darker than their natural skin color? Where are they supposed to get their foundation?

Why is no one being held accountable for shit like this? How can a company honestly claim to be able to match ANYONE's skin color when they only have ONE remotely dark foundation color? Are darker women not people to?

ALSO
Lovely tabloid about "celebrities who have an unhealthy obsession with their weight"

You know who has an unhealthy obsession with the celebrities weight? The fucking tabloids. The people who read them. Maybe if Jessica Simpson wouldn't have to experience being called a disgusting fat ass every time she left the house she wouldn't "double up on spanx."

You remember doing that to her, right? Imagine having thousands of people sitting there talking about the 10 extra pounds you gained (or didn't gain, I still feel a lot of it was a bad choice of clothing). I think that would make you hyper aware of how you look when you left the house. I'd be fucking terrified to NOT double up on spanx if I knew that the moment I walked out the door a camera would be snapping pictures of me and the world would be calling me fat because I weight 165lbs. We aren't all built to stay thin forever (we aren't even all built to be thin period). The woman has had children now, leave her fucking weight out of this.

PERHAPS IF WE STOP OBSESSING OVER CELERITY'S WEIGHT THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TO ANYMORE EITHER. 

That is all.

XoXo,
S

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a ton for stating your opinions. Being a writer, I am always in need of unique and different solutions to think about a topic. I actually uncover fantastic creativity in doing this. Many thanks