June 06, 2012

Finishing the HG series (obviously spoilers)

I finished it last night, but I didn't even know what to say. I still don't, really. I think I had my thoughts on it pretty well organized last night. I didn't think Katniss would let Coin live, especially after the bombs and poor little Prim. There's nothing okay with killing for the sake of getting your way in a war. Snow was right on one thing, he never really killed someone without a personal purpose. He wouldn't have a reason to just bomb loads of capitol children, because ultimately that was what made the Capitol turn from Snow. If he wanted to make the rebels look bad he sure as hell wouldn't have had the capitols symbol along with the hovercraft.

I never liked Coin. Her desire to have a new Hunger Games (even if only once) was repulsive. So the rebels wanted all of the people in the Capitol to die? Get the hell over it. They were fickle and vain  but they were living the life they were raised with. If they refuse to lessen their greed and lifestyle, I can see room for hate, but to just expect them to become the districts idea of normal is about as crazy as the Capitol expecting the district people to conform to their lifestyles.

There's good revenge and bad revenge. Doing what someone else did to you may feel like good revenge, but in this case, I'd say no. It's children. It had been done 75 times before then, and that's 75 times too many. The people who ran the country were the ones choosing to continue this ritual. Had they stopped, the people of the Capitol may have been upset but they seemed to not have the desire to defy their leaders. The people in charge were given a trial and killed. There's literally no reason to let more children die.

I haven't felt so much from a book in a long time. So obviously the moment I start liking a character they have to die. And obviously almost everyone I loved had to die. Except for Peeta and Katniss. Them being together in the end... Well, its all I have to hold onto.

I remember when Haymitch told Katniss that she could live 100 lifetimes and not deserve Peeta and all she could respond with was "I know," because she didn't know how much she needed and appreciated him until he was hijacked. Then I got to cuddle with my boyfriend who is endlessly kind and patient and loving to me, who thinks the world of me, while I fell asleep. I don't think I'd have been able to handle it any other way.

XoXo,
S

No comments: