September 06, 2011

IDK

No one likes being talked down to. Then again, no one likes it when someone tries to read more into what you said then is actually there. It's almost hurtful when someone who you have been with for a while assumes you're always using a "tone" with them. And otherwise annoying when others do as well.

I'm not a snarky person, unless provoked. When I am, it's pretty clear. When I don't know something, I'll just come out and say that I don't know. There's no snark or attitude about it. I'm not trying to imply something. I'm stating that I don't know. If I were to say something along the lines of "what, you can't figure it out yourself?" or "why should I know?" (or even, "why don't you know?") I can see hostility. But why, when in my normal casual voice would you read more into "I don't know" than is actually there?

It's one of those phrases that just doesn't give you much room for assumptions. I mean, I could give off a sense of anger or frustration by adding to the phrase and saying something like "I don't fucking know" but that still doesn't give someone a reason to read more into what I'm saying besides what I'm actually saying. Admitting lack of knowledge. Maybe I'm frustrated by it, maybe I'm feeling lost, but I'm definitely NOT making accusations or getting a "tone" with someone in those words.                    

I look into my little glass ball and see.... nothing :O

XoXo,
S

No comments: